1. Who can be an AYLA coach?
- Any adult can volunteer as a coach.
- Lacrosse experience either as a player or coach is ideal.
- Experience as an athlete or coaching another sport is desired.
- Adults with no experience, but are enthusiastic and willing to learn, are welcome!
- Contact the Area presidents if you are interested in coaching.
2. What personal attributes are desirable in an AYLA coach?
- Enjoy working with youth
- Willingness to learn and adapt
- Encouraging sportsmanship and effort over winning
- Like to have fun
3. What kind of commitment is required of a coach?
- Coaches must be a current USL member, complete a background check, and have a current CPR/AED trained certificate.
- Coaches must be understand current USL game rules and AYLA-specific guidelines for age category they coach.
- Practices for K-8 levels are typically 2 times a week, for 1-1/2 hr, from end of February to the mid-May.
- Practices for for High School teams are typically 2-3 times a week, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, from end of February to mid-May.
- Games are on Sundays from April to mid-May. Coaches determine arrival time for teams for warm-up prior to game time.
- Coaches, along with parents, also help with some field logistics.
- Each team has at least one coach, but can also have assistant coaches.
- Coaches are asked to lead, coordinate or help with pre- and post-season clinics. Participation is optional but greatly appreciated!
4. Is there compensation for coaches?
- Coaches are volunteers but can qualify for a stipend or a fee discount/waiver for one child per season.
- Area presidents determine the stipend/discount amount based on the coaches' commitment.
5. How do I sign up to be a Coach?
- Click on "Interested in Coaching/" tab or Area presidents to find out coaching needs.
- Once confirmed to be a coach, register online by clicking on the "Register as a Coach" tab.
- USL membership and background check can be completed when registering as a coach.
- Fees for USL membership and CPR/AED training will be reimbursed upon submission of receipts.